I have a lot of goals for this year (many of which are not written here), and I'm okay with that. I love entering into this reflection period and looking ahead to all that God might work in us during this next stage of life. 2016 was another great foundation building year for our family, but still with many changes. I commented to Kevin the other day that it still feels like we are in the pre-planning phase of our life (which probably sounded quite negative to him), but it's true. We've done so much, and yet some days feel like we still have this massive mountain ahead of us to climb. Of course, that is life. But there are specific ways we want to live our life while climbing that mountain (careers, children, a house, etc.) and we are just not quite there. And that's okay! This is how God is forming us. And I really believe that He is preparing us for something wonderful. Our road is not common, and people often don't understand while we are still pursuing these lofty dreams. But we know why.
So for 2017, I'm really hoping to develop better routines for the life stage we are in right now! And if God calls us to something else, we adjust. That's how life goes.
Actively work towards our professional goals
Learn how to use our
newused mirrorless camera
Put more energy into the blog (aka write more substantially)
Open up Etsy shop with Kevin's art (step one of many other steps!)
- Develop Kevin's website further
Nurture my health (physically & emotionally)
Take a fitness class this winter to get out of the house
Limit coffee to 3x/week (unless I find I need to eliminate it entirely...been down that road before)
- Read at least 2 books per month (get a good variety of spiritual, educational, & leisure)
- Continue to purge & cleanse our life (been working on this for a while, and it's going well!)
Go deeper in the spiritual life
Intermediate social media fasts (weekly)
Daily, non-negotiable prayer routine
- Find a spiritual director! (They have been so elusive.)
- Step outside my comfort zone in this new city and try to make quality connections with others
- Send birthday/special occasion cards ON TIME
Call family members more frequently
- Accept limitations and do not feel guilty when I'm truly not able to do something for someone else
Invest completely in our marriage
- Create a formalized routine for breakfast/dinner together
- Take a class together (maybe some sort of dance, like we did when we were dating)
- Take walks together in winter (it's the only season we struggle with)
- Find new ways to pray together daily
- Take a trip together (with any luck - to Quebec! again!)
I'm quite excited for 2017. And I am so grateful for this time of year. While in some ways it's really just starting a new calendar, there's a deeper level to is as well. And to begin the year in the octave of Christmas! That is not coincidental. May God bless us all in this new year!
P.S. - my Saint of the year (using this online Saint generator) is St. Catherine of Genoa!